Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Is it more expensive to eat local food?"

So everyone seems to ask me this question as well... and I really don't know the answer. I then read the most recent newsletter from LOCAL HARVEST (http://www.localharvest.com/) and here they addressed it head on. They don't have any answers, but are looking to do some collective research on the topic.

"What I have in mind is a kind of collective research project. This newsletter will go out to about 50,000 people. Certainly a few dozen of you might be interested in doing a little comparative shopping over the next couple of months and maybe again in the spring? I have a spreadsheet that I will send to anyone who is interested. You can fill out the portions of it that apply to the foods that are in season where you live, and send it back to me. We’ll compile all the data and report the findings back to the group. If you are interested in learning more about participating in this grassroots research, please contact me. "

I plan on getting this spreadsheet and will post to my LOUDOUN LOCAVORES group. You can join this group by going to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Loudoun_Locavores/

So wouldn't you like to know the answer?? Let's see what we find out!

0 comments: