Monday, May 12, 2008

Getting tangled in the Food Web (it's a good thing)

So I know I haven't written in awhile, been more of a work-a-vore than a locavore these days. My most recent pondering on LOCAVORIAN issues was WHY I am making such an effort for my food. It is certainly plentiful in the chain supermarkets, but WHY do I go to great lengths to know WHERE my food comes from, WHO grew it, HOW they handled/processed it, and WHAT their gardening principles are. I have stressed before how buying local is great for your physical health and the health of your local economy- but there is much more to it. It is then I realized the importance of BEING TANGLED IN THE FOOD WEB... Read on (from Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food):

"Health is, among other things, the product of being in these sorts of relationships in a food chain - a great many such relationships in the case of an omnivorous creature like man. It follows that when the health of one part of the food chain is disturbed, it can affect all the other creatures in it. If the soil is sick or in some way deficient, so will be the grasses that grow in that soil and the cattle that eat the grasses and the people who drink the milk from them. Our personal health cannot be divorced from the health of the entire food web"
I stress over my food because I understand how we (all living things) are all connected and I want to make my web strong. I acknowledge my impact on this earth, and its impact on me - and because of that I am choosing to respect the quality of my food.

I am proud to be a LOCAVORE, hear me roar!

1 comments:

LoudounCountyforObama said...

What a beautiful post! Loving it!