Sunday, June 8, 2008

SKANIAUS= good eating.

So check this out, a real FRESH and local meal. Peas from my garden, sauteed in butter and fresh Queso Blanco sauteed in butter and garlic. YUM! I literally made everything in this meal and it was such a reward to savor it. Now it wasn't the butter that made this meal so good - it was that rewarding feeling of eating what I made. Now as I ate this meal - it made me think about the love of food and GOOD EATING (i.e. skaniaus, a lithuanian word I use to start each meal).

Food is such a part of our lives, yet our culture has moved away from spending the required time to prepare our meals. With this, I think we have also lost some of the sensation of enjoying food, enjoying the experience, and allowing our bodies to enjoy its nourishment. There are so many things competing for our time, that eating sometimes loses out to other activities. Now I am a mom and have a full time job, so I understand the pressures of time- but 'breaking for food' may not only be good for our bodies, but our souls and minds. The point is, whatever you eat, take the time to enjoy the flavor, the taste, the act of eating. Once we start savoring our food - the rest of life's experiences follow :)

0 comments: